Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Venice (Venedig) is calling! :)

Yess!
Just booked my conference in Venice about Particle Astrophysics.
Isn't it cool to be paid to go to Venice (first timer in Venice) and even hear about newest results in the coolest job possible, palavering around Dark Matter, Dark Energy and all the other high energy stuff flying around. :) I love my job...
Have a look where I am going:
Link to conference page
and my hotel
Ok, probably I won't have water view, booking a single room (they are always the worst), but getting out of the hotel, first thing I see is the water. Nice! :D
But first I go for 2 weeks holidays to the Ukraine to the family of Anya. This is a nice summer! The postponed launch of Dawn has more and more nice sides to it.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Michael,

    I know this is an old article. But Venice, huh? My wife and I backpacked in Italy for 2 weeks for our honeymoon few years back and found Venice to be such a nice place.

    Speaking of physics. I'm not in science field at all, but I read this in local paper this morning.

    SLAC cutting budget and laying off 125 some people. Not sure if that's a big deal in the industry. Anyways, thought it's up in your field,
    http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_7926187?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com&nclick_check=1

    See ya on twitter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 125 is not a big number, sure, but if this happens from 1 week to next, it's surprising, as in science the planning of workforces only depends on funding that is usually long term planned.
    But much worse for US actually is the overall cut to Fermilab,one of world's most famous particle physics labs. The budget cut means the immediate stop on the future planning of the next generation of particle collider, and that in turn could mean that US will lag behind Europe. It would be a bit of a shame if that would happen for mere budget cuts and not b/c Europe beat US in a honest competition! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael,

    Let's try the link again. It might be because SJ Mercury news (the local paper), sometimes require users to register. But
    http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_7926187

    ReplyDelete